Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Daniel Fast, days 5-7

Eyes lifted.
Jesus said to the disciples, “lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! (NKJV)” He said that to them just after they saw him talking to the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:35. Newer translations say "Open your eyes." The greek word, "eparate," is a command to lift, not to open. I like "lift" better.

When we are focused on the things of this world, the action needed is to lift, not just to open. We need to refocus our attention. Jesus said we are in this world, but not part of it **. I fear that most American Christians are too much "of this world." It is not that our eyes are not open, it is that they are focused on the wrong things.

The Role of Fasting
Fasting helps us refocus. When you fast, you are reminded constantly that you are denying the flesh in order to hear from God. Every time my stomach or weak knees remind me of my hunger, I lift my eyes and say, "Whom do I have in heaven but You, and there is NOTHING on this earth that I desire besides You." (Psalm 73:25)

Days 5-7
More of the same. I am averaging one meal/day, usually in the evening. My schedule on Day 5 got shot to pieces, and I ended up eating only a banana and later an emergency pack of peanut butter crackers (Thanks, Sharon). On Day 6 I had an early meal and a late meal. The late meal consisted of a bowl of 15-bean soup, into which I put a goodly amount of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. I'm quite sure this is the brand Daniel must have used also.

Prayer Requests
In my earlier post I mentioned that if there are any prayer needs for which you would like for me to pray during my fast, to let me know. On old friend and former High School classmate of mine, Nancy, requested prayer for her health. She is on oxygen 24/7 because of lung problems. Please pray with me that God would heal her.

No comments:

Post a Comment