Tuesday, April 20, 2010

NOW I'm In Mourning

Daniel 10:2-3:

2 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three full weeks.
3 I didn't eat any rich food, no meat or wine entered my mouth, and I didn't put any oil [on my body] until the three weeks were over.
The sense I get from that passage is that Daniel didn't want any fancy food. He was in mourning over the plight of his people. I, on the other hand, have thoroughly enjoyed my "daniel fast." I'm losing weight, and everything I eat tastes delicious (since I eat so little). It has been going great...until now.

Has Satan Ever Used Car Problems To Steal Your Joy?
I'll shoot for the short version:
  • Day 13 Car blew head gasket 150 miles from home.
  • Rented car from Enterprise and got home.
  • Day 14 (a Sunday) Wife lost the key to rental car.
  • Day 15 Had rental car towed to dealership to get key made.
    Borrowed pick-up truck from a friend.
    Truck has sign on the back "Honk if you honkytonk."

  • Day 16 Deacon at church found key by going through a bag of garbage (thanks, Bob)!
    Called dealer to stop them making key. Too late. Cost = $385.
    Got a call from 150 miles away claiming I need a new motor.
    Joy gone.

After those calls, I drove 30 miles to my church field to conduct a funeral. On the way, as I was stewing over my troubles and trials, God met me in the car. I was remembering that the day before, I had had an episode of praise, during which I praised God, using the names of God in the bible. After all, Jesus taught us to pray, "Hallowed be thy name."
I prayed, "Lord, I don't feel like doing that today." He reminded me that I had been harping on the command of Christ to his disciples to "Lift up your eyes" to my congregation for months now. He whispered to my heart, "Now that you have circumstances that are demanding your attention, how do you think one is able to lift up one's eyes?" I reluctantly started, without feeling,
"I praise you, Jehovah-Rohi (the Lord my shepherd) for leading me. I praise you, Jehovah-Shammah (the Lord who is present) for being with me through the valley. I praise you, bright and morning star, for Your guidance. Praise you, Holy Comforter, for comforting my heart. Praise you Jehovah-Shalom for the peace I don't yet feel....

When I got to, "I praise you Jehovah-Rapha," I started laughing. My health is the best it has been in years, all because of "the Lord who heals." The burden lifted, the joy returned, and I arrived at the funeral ready to minister life to all who had gathered.

What I Received From The Funeral
The funeral was for a lady who had spent her 84 years serving others. I was able to relate her life to that of Jesus, who humbled Himself and became a servant. This amazing lady touched the lives of all the young people in the community. I was able to give a strong invitation to them to follow Christ, based on her own words.

After the funeral, I met a lady who had been on our prayer list at the church for a long time. Her first words to me were, "See, I have my hair back! It is sort of frizzy, but it is back."
She mentioned seeing someone who asked her, "Where have you been?"
She said, "I gave him the short version:
  • I lost my job.
  • Then my husband lost his job.
  • Then I developed cancer.
  • As I was receiving treatment, my husband had heart problems.
  • And through it all, we have been praising God!"


Well done, Lord. I got your message.

No comments:

Post a Comment