Monday, April 19, 2010

Daniel Fast--Days 11-13

Day 11 and 12

Nothing of note: one meal per day with occasional snacks. No rich foods, no meat, no alcohol, no oil poured on my body (!). Also, no caffeine, very little bread or animal products.

Day 13

On our way to Brasher Springs Campmeeting Spring Rally day. Sharon is snoozing beside me. Heading East by Northeast with a beautiful sunrise in view, I am interceding for some critical needs that I have been made aware of the last couple of days: a suicide attempt, a toddler killed by a stepfather, a niece and her husband facing heavy health burdens. In my last post I stated that the 21-day daniel fast in Daniel chapter 10 was all about spiritual warfare. In Daniel 9, Daniel fasted in sackcloth and ashes and prayed for his people. When the spiritual battle was over in Daniel 10, God sent a messenger to tell Daniel what would be the fate of his countrymen.

As I pray, and as my eyes are continually drawn to the rising sun, I bring to remembrance Jesus' admonition to the disciples in John 4 to "lift up your eyes."
For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens (Ephesians 6:12, HCSB).


Spiritual Warfare

In Ephesians 6, Paul exhorts us to put on God's armor for the battle to come:
  • truth for a belt
  • righteousness for armor
  • the gospel of peace for sandals
  • faith for a shield
  • salvation for a helmet
  • God's word for a sword

Have you ever wondered what you are to do when your battle gear is all in place? Read the next verses:
18 With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and stay alert in this, with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints.
19 Pray also for me, that the message may be given to me when I open my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel.
20 For this I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I might be bold enough in Him to speak as I should. (Ephesians 6:18-20)

*Prayer IS the battle!*


Back Home

As the sun is going down, Sharon and I are standing on a hill overlooking Tuscaloosa, praying for our city. Our car is still in Argo, Alabama with a blown head gasket. While we waited for our son-in-law Kurt and grandson Luke to rescue us, we met a wonderful couple and enjoyed sweet fellowship with them for a couple of hours (Greetings, Rhonda and Rick!) We discussed with them the spiritual warfare that seemed to be getting more personal to us (that snake, Satan, does not want us praying). Rhonda kept assuring us that the breakdown happened for a purpose. I believe it. I rest in His unchanging grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment